Search This Blog

Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve was AMAZING

This day was pretty much perfect. In case you don't know this already, Christmas Eve is my mother's birthday. So we started our day with a fabulous lunch of Greek food and celebrating my mother. I got myself parked between Wednesday and Jack. Darn. How terrible, right? lol Once again - Wednesday proved that Uncle Jeff is her pawn and will do whatever she wants. Soooo cute! And just for the record? So did Jack. It was a blast. I think my mom was beyond thrilled with her bday lunch. My family did what she asked us to do. Ricci was a dream for giving her what she really would have wanted. She gave her a calendar filled with pix of the babies and even a couple of my kids. I'm jealous, I want a copy for ME!

Proceed to the scene at my mother's. There are probably 6 sq. feet of presents waiting for us, maybe more. My mother and I went WAY overboard. And I'm not even going to try to apologize for it. Too much fun and too much happiness.

So we got the little ones a shit load of presents. Especially Wednesday. Recently, when Ariana and I were babysitting because Ricci had to go the hospital, we witnessed Wednesday taking the teddy bear Ariana gave her last year and feeding it and taking out wiped to clean his face and.....yeah, his booty. She is mimicking her mommy and taking care of a "baby". At this point, we determined we had a mission. That little girl needed a baby doll.

Now, you have to understand that my niece is a midget child. She turns 2 in a couple of weeks and her 7 mo brother is barely behind her in weight and height. So the world of baby dolls became limited. They were all bigger than her. HUGE, to be honest. And the ones that are automated frankly scared the hell out of us. One sounded like a stranded goat. Another one was like possesso baby and yet another said things I found vaguely inappropriate.

Then, we found the mini-Cabbage Patch baby. The ONLY kind of Cabbage kid in the store for some weird reason. It was tiny. It was adorable. It had a bottle (plus we added a pack of accessories like a mini box of wipes), green eyes and no chin.......just like our adorable Wednesday. We were so excited to give it to her but had no idea how she would react.

Let me just say this. There are certain magical Christmas moments. They don't happen every year. Sometimes they never happen at all. But Wednesday opening her baby doll present? One of the most amazing things I've ever experienced in my life.

She was like Ariana, desperate to get someone to free her baby. She was absolutely frantic. When we got her out she took hold of her and the bottle and wouldn't let go. She put the bottle in her mouth. She burped her. She bounced her on her knee. She would only let some people (that's right, I am one of the trusted people with baby McCant) even hold the baby. She immediately started making soft, crying sounds for her baby that made her have to cuddle or feed her. She couldn't care less about the rest of her presents for the longest time. That baby and it's needs became the center of her attention. She showed her to Jack and let Rissa bounce Jack AND baby on her knees. She gave her to me to hold when she opened or played with other presents. She took her brother's baby car seat, cleaned it out of his toys and put her baby in it. It was the sweetest, most adorable baby Christmas moment I think I've ever experienced. We kept tearing up about her taking care of baby and how absolutely thrilled she was to finally have a baby in her arms and do what Mommy does every day. The only other present that captured even a fraction of that reaction were the mega-blocks with a gear system/shape sorter and playing with it (while I babysat CB kid) with Rissa and Ariana in the kitchen. Wait until she gets her kitchen, magnetic, cut-up bread/cutting board/cut-up bread, fruit, etc. AND her little tool box w/ wooden tools, screws, supplies plus her backpack full of Black & Decker tools.

Okay, not baby related. My mom getting her long john pj's from all of us (because she gives pj's to the grandkids every year and Jon jokingly asked her if she wanted long john's for Christmas once and got a great reaction) and laughing so fully, loving the gift AND the joke and.........drum roll

Merry Christmas. I will wrap myself in my luxurious, red wrap that my mommy noticed me loving and went back and bought for me. She really surprised me this year.

I am beyond thrilled that she gave us tickets to "Mixtape" which I've been dying to see. The star is the younger brother to my great friend and occasional date that I recently learned had passed on. I am so excited to see the show on it's own but the thought that Lawton's little bro is the star is the cherry on top of the universe.

Merry Christmas y'all. I'll probably post tomorrow or the next day. I am drowning the the love, friendship, caring and good wishes amongst my friends and family.

Hey Abernathy/Peery clan! I love all of you more than you can know. Some day we will get together and have a proper holiday with all of us damaged kiddos.

I love you all. I am blessed to know you. My life is full because of all the souls I touch every moment.

No comments: