Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Tired and Thankful

Good grief I'm exhausted. I NEVER cook like this except for the holidays. I ache and I'm pretty sure I will sleep soundly tonight.

It really is fun, though. Baking with my girls all day long. Tasting each other's creations. Reveling in the aromas. Having a dreary, cold day warmed by a family sharing a kitchen. Rissa has a notebook where she copies down all of our recipes and experiments every year. It's kind of a kick to pull it out every year and use what has worked without having to worry about it and excitedly adding new recipes for the future.

We're like a little cheerleading team for each other on days like today. So helpful with flavors, supporting efforts, making it all work. It seems like my sister-in-law Ricci is really excited about everything tomorrow too. Our first Thanksgiving as a family. She's bringing green bean casserole (the reason I'm not making traditional greenie-beanies) and we LOVE that. And she's bringing the best part of course. Her family. I get my brother and his great smile and huge appetite, my Wednesday and her infectious giggle and huge personality, our little man Jack and those freaking dimples and Ricci, my wonderful sis-in-law that I am so grateful to have.

So everything is ready to go. There are some beautiful dishes waiting to be eaten. And a beautiful table waiting for a family to seat themselves.

And I'm so grateful. I am grateful for my family and my friends. I am thankful for my marriage. I am thankful for the roof over my head and having all my bills paid. I am grateful for being healthy this year for the holidays. I am thankful for my cats. And I am thankful to be an American, celebrating this day, and all the people who care about keeping an America where people are free to seek the dream.

Thank you George Washington for declaring this holiday. Giving thanks is an important function of the human soul. Without gratitude we are not truly alive.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all! Stuff your faces and have a happy day!

No comments: